EXCLUSIVE CONTENT: Amazing Top Tips for Passing Your Exams from a Marketing Tutor!
I sat down and went though a whole host of topics with the amazing Peter Sumpton from Marketing Study Lab to chat about the similarities/ differences between Accounting and Marketing regarding the fundamentals of studying, completing assignments and passing exams.
We wanted to get across the importance of these topics and we covered:
- Answering the Task Given, Not Your Own
- What style should your answer be written in
- Check the word / page count and sticking to it
- Doing your research
- Check the weighting of each question
- Don’t waffle and get to the point
- Use real life examples
- Reference correctly
And if that isn't enough we finish off with a Father Ted discussion and who doesn't want that!
So often in the shadows when the boxer succeeds and is more likely to be front and center when the boxer fails.
The cornerman must have detachment from their boxer, but at the same time an unwavering devotion to that boxer’s well-being.
They must be a psychologist, able to assist the fighter through the emotional minefield that is the preparation for combat.
A Strategist, a General, able to see what it’s going to take to secure victory and offering the kind of tactical advice that can be put into practice in the crucible of battle.
In this conversation with fellow Accounting Exam "Cornerman" Yvonne Starkey, a fellow Chartered Accountant/ Lecturer/ Coach from South Africa we chatted about our businesses and our Accounting Student clients
- Why we like working with Accounting Students
- What do we say to students who worry that we will judge them
- Would we employ people who failed their exams
- Was I the "perfect" student
- Do students take on coaching only after they have failed
and much more.......
Recently interviewed by Deborah Fitzsimmons from "Go2Educate", who provides educational resources, courses and merchandise for businesses & schools worldwide.
In this 20 min chat we covered......
(1) What I do in my job?
(2) What inspired me to become an Exam Coach?
(3) What advice I would give to a student on preparing to study and prioritising what they have to do?
(4) I offer suggestions of effective study techniques that have been tried and tested by my student clients
(5) All of us are guilty of procrastinating. How can students break this habit?
(6) What are students’ biggest mistakes when it comes to studying?
(7) What are the rewards of studying?
(8) I give 2 inspirational quotes.
Enjoyed this one
Exams coming up, lacking motivation and feeling low?
It is really good to get motivated, but not so good when you’re just beating around the bush and procrastinating.
Remember, motivation is cr*p without taking ACTION and actually doing something!
So listen to this 50 min recording to get you inspired, pumped, ready to go to crush your studies & exams!
In every exam, there are always marks given for presentation, they are the 3 or 4 marks that could be the difference between a pass or a fail.
Professional communication skills and capabilities are expected by employers so it is key that such qualities are demonstrated in an examination setting in order to gain these marks. You will need to be aware of the structure of the exam in advance to be aware of where these professional marks are allocated.
Planning your answer properly and presenting it clearly is another critical component to success. While you’re planning how your answer should be structured, consider what format it should be in and how long each part should be.
In this great 1 hour conversation with Yvonne Starkey, a fellow Chartered Accountant/ Lecturer/ Coach from South Africa & we cover a number of issues facing Accounting Students......
- What are the 3 biggest stumbling blocks for Accounting Students?
- What areas of Exam Technique are neglected the most?
- Do you have a "wacky" study tip?
- Top tips for newly qualified Accountants
- Does previous study habits work for Accounting Exams?
- What we wish someone told us years ago about how to study
and much more.......
And why we both love being Accounting Exam Coaches!
The aim of Accounting Exams is to create well-rounded, accomplished professionals.
Passing these exams is challenging, expensive and time consuming, but check out my top 10 tips to give you a greater chance of success:
1. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF
2. INVEST IN YOURSELF
3. PUT THEORY INTO PRACTICE
4. UNDERSTAND THE SYLLABUS AND EXAM STRUCTURE
5. PRACTICE PAST EXAM QUESTIONS
6. MAKE SUMMARY NOTES
7. REMEMBER KEY INFORMATION
8. MAKE USE OF YOUR NETWORK
9. PLAN YOUR EXAM STRATEGY
10. MAKE THE EXAMINER’S JOB EASY
We all love studying don't we? NOPE!
Accounting exams are hard - damn hard.
So here I give you 5 tips to take on board before you hit the books -
1. Its going to be hard..... for a while
2. Be aware of your biggest issues and concerns
3. Set goals & targets
4. Become accountable
5. Remove distractions
Adopt some of the tips and move forward towards success
People with accounting skills are highly sought after by employers.
However, it is not easy to get an accounting qualification, as it requires a lot of discipline and hard work. Success is dependent on the amount of dedication and work you put in.
While studying towards a qualification in accounting, here are a few mistakes to avoid:
1 – NOT PREVIEWING THE MATERIAL
2 – NOT LEARNING THE TERMINOLOGY
3 – NOT ASKING QUESTIONS
4 – PROCRASTINATING
5 – NOT PREPARING PROPERLY FOR EXAMS
6 – NOT PRACTISING DAILY
Give this quick 5 min segment a listen!
Moving forward our profession continues to evolve as organisations continue to re-evaluate what the role of Accountants & Finance actually is.
Therefore this interview, has a particular emphasis on the next generation, so very relevant to those out there undertaking exams or just newly qualified.
A great collaboration with 3 Accounting & Finance Titans, Mitan Patel, Anders Liu-Lindberg & Andrew Codd CGMA MBA
Stephen Turkington - Specialist Recruitment Consultant from MCS Group, chatted to me about my accounting background and how I help Aspiring Accountants study and prepare for upcoming exams.
Also check out the video on the MCS Group website - https://lnkd.in/eTs7rYk
Discussion taken from my interview with the fantastic Andrew Codd from his Strength In The Numbers Podcast.......
If you want to realise your potential in Accounting & Finance follow Andrew at https://sitnshow.com & www.linkedin.com/in/andrewcodd/
"Our guest mentor today has a number of amazing stories to share as well as of some of those he's helped. James Perry is a Chartered Accountant and owner of AccountingExamCoach.com where he offers his clients around the world a unique and fresh perspective to succeed in their exams and reach their potential in their careers.
Key Points From the Episode:
• Where his passion for exam coaching came from and the story behind why’s he’s so passionate about helping others through the process.
• The first question he asks his exam coaching clients that we should all know the answer to if we want to have fun, rewarding and successful careers.
• A number of practical tips to improve your finance & accounting exam and career success.
If you enjoyed this episode, check out our time-stamped show notes, key quotes, resources and ways to connect with our guest mentor and more at sitnshow.com/podcast/030"
So, you are in the midst of studying for your Accounting exams, you can’t be bothered and motivation is at a premium.
How do you keep yourself going?
The ability to get motivated to study can have a very positive effect on a student’s study levels and grades.
Sometimes there is no magic formula to get yourself to do something.
If you are lacking motivation regarding studying, I would suggest the first thing you tell yourself this.......
“Stop wasting time just go and bloody do it!”
Do you have your Accounting Exams coming up? 🤔
Myself and successful hypnotherapist Judith Ward had an exam stress Q&A
We chatted about the causes of this stress, practical advice, do's and don'ts etc.
THIS IS NOT TO BE MISSED IF YOU HAVE EXAMS COMING UP!
Show notes -
0 – 6.29 – Exam Stress in context & Intros
6.30 – 8.54 – How did James get into Exam Coaching?
8.55 - 13.05 - Emotional Responses, How do we get Exam Stress? Caveman Syndrome & Signs
13.06 - 17.20 - How I beat Exam Pressures & Practical Tips
17.21 - 20.34 - The "3 P's" & the Power of the Mind
20.35 - 24.30 - Have a Plan & Learn through Audio
24.31 - 28.28 - Oral Presentations/ Public Speaking/ Interviews
28.29 - 37.53 - What NOT to do, Advice for Parents & Lifestyle
37.54 - 42.22 - How to deal with Exam Day 42.23 - 45.09 - Final Tips, Look after Yourself & Distractions
45.10 - END - Contact Details
December 17, 2018
Make your own podcast for free with Anchor!
Like what you see? Try making your own podcast for free with Anchor.