Hey Everyone! -- This week might be a bit of a "rerun" to anyone who has been following the podcast since this feed went live. But to the rest of you, it's fresh content. This chat is a bit old now, we recorded it almost a year ago. But, all of the main points still hold up, which is why it's going back in the feed. This week's chat is with Aari Lotfipour, CEO of Jalapeno Inventive. Jalapeno is a blockchain education company that builds experiences to make the learning of new cryptocurrency dynamics fun and easy. Aari is awesome, and it's a great chat on many levels and in many rabbit holes. We talk about gamification, cryto adoption, Aari's history in crypto and all kinds of other weird stuff. Enjoy!
Jalapeno Inventive: https://jalapen.io
- Script Coins: https://www.coindesk.com/scrypt-miners-cryptocurrency-arms-race
- Dogecoin: https://dogecoin.com/
- Adam’s Location Based Game: https://adamkerpelman.com/freeze-app-design
- Geocaching: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching
- Blockchain Decentralized “GPS” Solution FOAM: https://www.foam.space/
- Flappy Bird: https://flappybird.io/
- Flappy Coin: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/flappycoin/
- No Lambos!
- Gamification: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification
- Cryptocurrency Airdrops: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airdrop_(cryptocurrency)
- World of Warcraft’s Economy: https://mashable.com/2018/05/08/world-of-warcraft-bolivar/
- Blockchain Barriers to Entry: https://www.nasdaq.com/article/blockchain-has-barriers-to-entry-in-2019-lets-tear-them-down-cm1098183
- Personal Information Laws and Money: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_your_customer
- Qualified Leads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_generation
- Earn Crypto by Learning: https://www.coinbase.com/earn
- Earn.com acquisition: https://www.vox.com/2018/4/16/17242796/coinbase-acquisition-earn-balaji-srinivasan
This week we've got T Brian Jones back on the podcast. Brian is an advisor to the Juris project, and CTO of his own ad tech company, Netwise Data. He came in ready to go with some questions for Adam about the origins and drive behind Juris that came up for him after having a few conversation at a networking event. Enjoy!
Thanks for dropping by! This week Adam is talking to Ethan, Co-founder and General Counsel at Juris about the recent law out of Australia aimed at social media content. It's a broader conversation about the nature of this kind of regulation, why we're here, and what we should do about it. And of course, a bit of how Juris fits. Enjoy!
Topics in this one:
- Australian Social Media Law - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/world/australia/social-media-law.html
- Christchurch Shootings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch_mosque_shootings
- US Constitution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution
- US Dec. of Independence - http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/
- Zuckerberg Op Ed - https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/mark-zuckerberg-the-internet-needs-new-rules-lets-start-in-these-four-areas/2019/03/29/9e6f0504-521a-11e9-a3f7-78b7525a8d5f_story.html
- Facebook Stats - https://zephoria.com/top-15-valuable-facebook-statistics/
- EU Business Licensing - https://www.export.gov/article?id=European-Union-Licensing-Requirements
- The Great Firewall - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall
- Communications Decency Act https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Decency_Act
- Insulting the President in Turkey - https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2016/08/26/dont-insult-the-president-of-turkey-and-youll-be-alright-probably/#6cd02fb32706
- Youtube Content Viewers - https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/05/technology/google-youtube-hiring-reviewers-offensive-videos/index.html
- Facebook Content Moderators - https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona
- Manipulating Youtube’s Algorithm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PGm8LslEb4
- Skeevy Debt Buyers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxUAntt1z2c
- Norway Comaping Law - https://www.switchbacktravel.com/norway/public-access
- The United Nations - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations
- Facebook Oversight Board - https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-oversight-board-draft-charter/
- Oversight in Government - https://oversight.house.gov/
Welcome back! This week Adam is chatting with Matt Slater, an investor with Synapse Capital and blockchain tech early adopter. They're talking about the evolution of the decentralized web and where it's going from here. They touch a lot of stuff (check the list below for links) on the way in a chat about decentralized exchanges, and the promise and peril of democratized investing tools.
Hope you enjoy... let us know what you think!
Matt Slater - https://twitter.com/mattslater
Synapse Capital - https://www.synapse.capital/
Hedgy - https://blog.sendwyre.com/wyre-acquires-hedgy-platform-technology-bitcoin-script-powered-derivatives-17b8b3b0e4e
Topics/Notes from this Episode:
- The Decentralized Web - https://dci.mit.edu/decentralizedweb
- Blockchain for Beginners - https://blockgeeks.com/guides/what-is-blockchain-technology/
- HTTP - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext_Transfer_Protocol
- Why The Web Won’t Be Nirvana - https://www.newsweek.com/clifford-stoll-why-web-wont-be-nirvana-185306
- Exchanges - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_(organized_market)
- DTCC - http://www.dtcc.com/
- Coinbase - https://coinbase.com
- Understanding Decentralized Exchanges - https://hackernoon.com/understanding-decentralized-exchanges-51b70ed3fe67
- Counterparty Risk - https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/counterpartyrisk.asp
- File sharing, Napster, and Bittorrent
- Mediachain - https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/26/spotify-acquires-blockchain-startup-mediachain-to-solve-musics-attribution-problem/
- Filecoin - http://filecoin.io/
- Interplanetary File System - https://ipfs.io/
- What would tokenized music Sharing look like? It’s probably years away.
- Bitsquare (Bisq) - https://bisq.network/
- Who do you sue?
- What if there’s a bug in the Bitcoin code? - Sue the core devs?
- What about international and anonymous context?
- Flash crashes - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-stock-market-has-about-12-mini-flash-crashes-a-day-and-we-cant-prevent-them-2017-07-31
- Decentralized Exchanges - https://0x.org/
- Uniswap and Order Books - https://uniswap.io/
- There are some industries where “disruption” is the wrong way to think.
- Stock Market Crashes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stock_market_crashes_and_bear_markets
- The SEC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Securities_and_Exchange_Commission
- Whaling and the first venture capitalists - https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2015/12/30/fin-tech
- East India Trading company - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company
This is our first official episode, and it’s another fresh rabbit-hole. Our guest is Juris Co-Founder and CTO Konstantin. Later we’ll do an episode about the fifteen years we’ve been working together, but for this one we’re jumping right into the good stuff with a chat about code as law, and how everything is a computer.
Notes from this one:
Smart Contracts, Ethereum, and Code as Law.
Code is Law: https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2000/01/code-is-law-html
Smart Contracts: https://blockgeeks.com/guides/smart-contracts/
What is “Code of Law” : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_law
“Everything is a Computer” - https://juris-project-stuff.myshopify.com (Password "meatcomputer".)
Government vs. Governance: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-a-weil/government-vs-governance_b_6858646.html
Contracts as an emergent property of government.
Blockchains and “verifiable public records.”
Terms of Service and what is law within Facebook, and similar platforms.
Autonomous vehicles and smart contracts - Why is your car even functionally allowed to speed?
Incentivisation - What if your taxes were lower because you followed the speed limit?
The important of “Standards” to the growth of marketplaces
What does the highway of personal information look like?
How much do we know about incentivisation already because video games have “points.”
Sports betting and digitized sports stats
Fairness and negotiating for things in business
Middlemen disappearing in Real Estate - Agents - Escrow
Smart Contract efficiency, so people can spend their time doing things they want to do
Hey everyone! Welcome to the Juris Podcast.
This week we’re talking to T. Brian Jones. He’s CTO of adtech startup Netwise Data, and advisor to the Juris project. He’s also the cohost of my other podcast, Zengineering.
As an intro episode for the Juris podcast, I wanted to start by answering the question: “why do a podcast?” It takes time to create, it better be worth it. Here Brian and I are chasing down the value we’ve gotten from the four years and 75 or so episodes of Zengineering we’ve recorded so far.
Thanks for tuning in!
Full Show Notes: https://jurisproject.io/podcast/
Juris Project: https://jurisproject.io/
T Brian Jones: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tbrianjones