Ray Otus is a tabletop gamer, artist, writer, and role-playing game designer. Plundergrounds is a zine devoted to Dungeon World adventures and content. And now it is also a podcast focused on inspiration, art, and games designed by independent creators.
The one where I talk about the 1981 TSR micrograme, Revolt on Antares. Designed by Tom Moldvay, art by Erol Otus, Bill Willingham, Jeff Dee, DSL, Jim Roslof. Show notes: https://jellysawgames.blogspot.com/2019/03/051-revolt-on-antares.html
Random topics including encounter tables, timers, avoiding rust monsters, Dune, Barsoom, bronze age gaming, OGRE, illusions, Revolt on Antares, Tetsuo, the Tripod Trilogy, and establishing questions. Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Angus and I wrap up the week, even though we then hung around for another 4+ hours talking to people, buying stuff, and generally basking in the gamer glow. Topics include world building at TSR, Zeb Cook, Planescape, writing for yourself vs. for the mob, making jump from TTRPGs to computer games, Interplanar Melee, and gaming at Gary Gygax's house. Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Angus and I talk Bob Meyer's Blackmoor game and the experience of "Arneson's D&D," Traveller character generation seminar with Marc Miller and his Traveller novels, Steve Jackson's vintage Kickstarters, Elric the AH board game, and the day ahead. Later I cast with Cody M of No Save for You and Larry Hamilton of Follow Me and Die! Then I recap my day gaming with Brett of Gaming and BS and playing at Gary Gygax's house. Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Angus recaps his day, we talk about B/X Essentials, sourcing the table, play culture at Gary Con, and I debrief on my two events (Goblintown and Dungeon World). Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
I talk with Angus of Kirby's Kids about our upcoming day and drop con guest names. Then I joust with Cody M of No Save for You. The day ends with a tired ramble about the day's games. Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Topics include: time spent on the toilet, self-doubt, the book Annihilation, relating the old to the new/mundane to exotic, Valentine's Day, history books on Audible, Gobekli Tepe, crocodile erections, Melee/Wizard/Fantasy Trip, Delving Deeper, Quintessential and Essential BX... Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Celebrating my last day of braces! Listing of ideas for future podcasts, talking about The Monster Brothers podcast, my supportive wife, Delving Deeper, Warriors of the Red Planet, future Plundergrounds zines, Fantastic Planet, etc. Full show notes at www.jellysaw.com.
I talk about how the Wuxia film idea of a training temple, school, or secret manuscript could be ported over into fantasy adventure games. Likewise, I talk about moving the DCC disfavor rule for clerics into Dungeon World and B/X. Full show notes at www.jellysaw.com.
Solo Gaming Hangout w/Sophia Brandt, Slade Stolar, and Michael Barford. Recorded on April 14, 2017.
• The big list of solo RPG resources from my blog http://dieheart.net/solorpg
• Getting started with solo role-playing primer: http://dieheart.net/getting-started-solo/
• Actual play reports solo http://dieheart.net/category/actual-play/
• Dungeon World solo plays: http://dieheart.net/ap-dungeon-world-one/ and http://dieheart.net/ap-dungeon-world-two/
• The Mythic Game Master Emulator: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/20798/Mythic-Game-Master-Emulator?it=1
• The 9 Questions: (download) http://dieheart.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/The-9Qs.zip
• The 5 Room Dungeon: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Five_Room_Dungeon
• Lone Wolf G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116965157741523529510
• Products from the former soloroleplaying.com: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6632/Cabbage-Games
• Rory’s Story Cubes: https://www.storycubes.com/
• Adventuresmith (Android): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.steavesea.adventuresmith&hl=en
• Itras By: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/107617/Itras-By-English
• Itras By (Just the cards): https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/111501/Itras-By-Card-Set-English
• Ray’s Random Dungeon World Move Generator: http://www.jellysaw.com/
• John Yorio’s Excellent “Solo Role-Playing Series” of blog posts: https://tabletopdiversions.blogspot.com/2015/01/solo-role-playing-series-part-1.html
• Marshall Miller’s Dungeon Starters: http://www.finemessgames.com/DWsupplements/dungeonstarters
• Logan Howard’s Sword Breaker zine: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/207706/Sword-Breaker-Issue-No-2--The-Hollow-Fingers
• Joe Banner’s Adventures: https://www.patreon.com/jbinc
• The Armitage Files: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15383.phtml
• Todd vs. The Black Hack (online solo play): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUVmgndvBVU&t=1985s
• H is for Hex Mapping (with Rory’s Story Cubes): http://theironpact.com/h-is-for-hex-mapping/
Angus of Kirby’s Kids and I talk Klaus and Christmas-themed gaming.
Kirby’s Kids -> http://anchor.fm/kirbyskids
Krause -> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38749750-klaus
Letters from Father Christmas -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061800937X/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A Sinister Solstice -> http://jellysawgames.blogspot.com/2016/12/sinister-solstice.html
Making zines with Oli Jeffrey, Logan Howard, Tim Shorts (Gothridge Manor). Recorded on July 3, 2017.
• Plundergrounds: https://www.patreon.com/rayotus
• Logan Howard's Sword Breaker: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?key...
• Oli Jeffery and Codex: https://www.patreon.com/gauntlet/post...
• Gothridge Manor: https://gothridgemanor.blogspot.com/p...
• Tolling the Great Black Bell: https://thegreatblackbell.blogspot.com/
• Wormskin: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?key...
• Black Pudding: https://www.rpgnow.com/product/199081...
• Crawling Under a Broken Moon: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/448...
• Crawl!: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/495...
• Crawljammer: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/690...
• Misspent Youth Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...
• Session Zero: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?key...
• Worlds without Master: https://www.patreon.com/Epidiah/posts
• The Original Melee and Wizard Counter Sheets -> https://www.jellysaw.com
• Gaming and BS 209, the Smash Cut -> https://gamingandbs.com/smash-cut-rgps-gbs209/
• Centum Mortui poster -> https://www.jellysaw.com
• Letters from Father Christmas -> https://preview.tinyurl.com/y7c83a4l
• Ben Milton on Control Panels -> http://questingblog.com/control-panel-book-layout-osr/
• Norse Mythology - https://www.amazon.com/Norse-Mythology-Neil-• Gaiman/dp/039360909X/
• Celtic Myths and Legends - https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Myths-Legends-Rolleston-1990-11-01/dp/B01LP3DNMM/
• Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and of the Fianna of Ireland - https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Fighting-Men-Tuatha-Ireland/dp/1495385140/
• Vikings - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/
• Britannia - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5932548/
• Vikings Campaign Source Book - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16912/HR1-Vikings-Campaign-Sourcebook-2e
• Celts Campaign Sourcebook - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/110199/HR3-Celts-Campaign-Sourcebook-2e
• Journey To Ragnarok - Adventure and Setting for 5e - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/257334/Journey-To-Ragnarok--Adventure-and-Setting-for-5e
• Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/112998/Fate-of-the-Norns-Ragnarok
• Midgard Worldbook for 5th Edition and PFRPG - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237360/Midgard-Worldbook-for-5th-Edition-and-PFRPG
• The Five Temples of the Earthmother Part 1: Life and Moon - https://www.dmsguild.com/product/170745/The-Five-Temples-of-the-Earthmother-Part-1-Life-and-Moon
• Spikepit -> https://anchor.fm/spikepit
• Kirby's Kids -> https://anchor.fm/kirbyskids
• The Happy Whisk -> https://anchor.fm/thehappywhisk
• No Save for You! -> https://anchor.fm/nosaveforyou
• Plundergrounds Patreon -> http://www.patreon.com/rayotus
• All of my projects -> http://www.rayotus.com
Capsule reviews of classic Melee, Wizard, and Death Test. With dramatic readings. Looks like you'll be able to buy it in a retro edition in April: http://thefantasytrip.game/products/core-games/the-fantasy-trip-melee-wizard-pocket-box/
• Laumer Bolo Stories -v
-> Combat Unit http://hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The%20Baltic%20War/Odyssey/0743435273__15.htm
-> The Last Command http://hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The%20best%20of%20Jim%20Baens%20Universe/The%20World%20Turned%20Upside%20Down/0743498747__14.htm
-> Field Test https://www.baen.com/Chapters/1439133476/1439133476___2.htm
It's an all call-in show with Ivy "The Happy Whisk," Colin "Spikepit," Darren "RFED," and Carl from the Megadungeon podcast. Topics include anxiety at the table, dealing with creative struggles (follow up), a new type of table, "telling it to the page," and much more.
• Steve Jackson's Ogre -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre_(game)
• Newer Versions -> http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/
• Winchell's Story ver 1 -> http://www.projectrho.com/ogre.html
• Winchell's Story ver 2 -> http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogrezine/forgingfirstogre.html
• Music behind reading is "Boss Battle" (altered) by Mystery Mammal
• Intro/Outro Music is "You Can Use" by Captive Portal
• Inspectres -> http://www.memento-mori.com/rpg/inspectres
• Hex Power Flower -> https://goblinshenchman.wordpress.com/2018/10/25/2d6-hex-power-flower/
• Jim's Poem (Late at Night in Bed by Gregory Djanikian) -> https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/37125/late-at-night-in-bed
• Spikepit -> http://anchor.fm/spikepit
• Jim Jones Extra Life -> https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=39374
• Larry - Follow Me and Die! -> https://anchor.fm/follow-me-and-die
• Judd - Daydreaming About Dragons -> https://anchor.fm/daydreaming-about-dragons
• Cody M - No Save for You! -> http://anchor.fm/nosaveforyou
• Rich - Cockatrice Nuggets -> http://anchor.fm/rich-fraser
• Ivy - Happy Whisk -> http://anchor.fm/thehappywhisk
• Colin Green - Spikepit -> http://anchor.fm/spikepit
• Spikepit -> http://anchor.fm/spikepit
• Sword Breaker -> http://anchor.fm/dmdad
• DM Dad -> https://anchor.fm/dm-dad
• Beowulf audiobooks
- S. Heany abridged -> https://tinyurl.com/y9yx9qrj
- S. Heany read by Guidall -> https://tinyurl.com/y96xl4b8
- B. Flynn read by Logan -> https://tinyurl.com/y7erpuyj
- C. W. Kennedy read by Griffin -> https://tinyurl.com/y83x2c9p
- Sutcliff prose version -> https://tinyurl.com/ya4ezrhy
• Dragonslayer -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082288/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
• Veins of the Earth -> https://tinyurl.com/yayv7kbb
• Tome of Adventure Design -> https://froggodgames.com/frogs/product/tome-of-adventure-design-2/
• Microscope -> http://www.lamemage.com/microscope/
• How to Host a Dungeon -> http://tonydowler.com/projects/how-to-host-a-dungeon/
• Fan play-through -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzhprAUoJXs
• Tony Dowler (the creator) playtesting HtHaD v2 -> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHrCSJpt9Xd56LTh4Ozc5yk9e-aLnXgQK
• Follow Me and Die! -> https://followmeanddie.com/
• Sword Breaker -> https://anchor.fm/sword-breaker
• Castle in the Mist -> https://www.rpgnow.com/product/257447/Sword-Breaker-Presents-A-Castle-in-the-Mist
• The Earth Moved -> https://tinyurl.com/yayq4t2j
• Everything else -> http://www.rayotus.com
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Trailer
• Not the scene I referenced, but still some damn good organ!
• Logan Howard's Sword Breaker Podcast
Yes, those are planes in the background. I was recording from a cul-de-sac near a small airport.
• Metagaming & Steve Jackson's OGRE
• Laumer's Bolo Fiction
• Larry Hamilton's Follow Me and Die!
• 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars
• Carry by Nathan Paoletta
• Logan's Sword Breaker zine
• Stay Frosty
• Kirbys Kids
A solo-rant for people new to Dungeon World or veterans who want to understand moves better. I talk about what they are, what the basic pattern is, why the "irritating" advice "Don't say the name of your move" is important, how the levels of success match up to D&D combat rolls, and talk about moves as a social contract.
• It's a Grab Bag! (Random thoughts and call-ins.)
• Colin from the Spikepit podcast talks bio-dungeons and Goblintown
• Urmo the Magnificent
• Cody M on unruly reptile familiars
• My Kickstarter Attitude Adjustment
• Frank Turfler of the Liner Notes podcast talks about bio-dungeons
• Reading Dragonlance at 50
• Final Thoughts/Responses to Callers
• RIP Meathead
• Familiars and Animal Companions
• Pack World (Dragonriders of Pern, Elfquest)
• Tension between the Fantastic and the Real
• Setting vs. Player responsibility for "Realism"
• Mailbag: Colin "Spikepit"
• On Fighting Fantasy
• Troika! and Evolving vs. Set-It-and-Forget-It Initiative
• Other Stuff
-> www.patreon.com - subscribe to the Plundergrounds zine
-> www.jellysaw.com - free games and articles
-> I'm "Ray Otus" on Google+ & Goodreads
-> Music is "You Can Use" by Captive Portal
In this pilot episode I talk about
• Forest Hymn & Picnic - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cecil-howe/the-forest-hymn-and-picnic?ref=user_menu
• Troika! - Free, no art version: https://www.rpgnow.com/product/199604/Troika--Free-Artless-Edition?manufacturers_id=6992
• Astro- - an in-development 2-player game
• Books - Dragonlance, Nero Wolfe, Invisible Cities, Sandman, Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom
• Jianghu Hustle - https://misdirectedmark.com/category/podcasts/jianghu/