This episode features some great call ins from Judd of Daydreaming About Dragons and Joe of the Hindsightless podcasts. I spend a bit of time talking about engaging with fiction and projecting one's self into fictional worlds. Then Barney of Loco Ludus calls in to talk Kriegsspiel and cultural stereotypes. I mention Playing At the World, an amazing Kriegsspiel table, David Wesley, the Bruanstein game, Strategos.
JJ and I talk about character arcs from generation to transformation. The context is a 12 session campaign of the Marvel Superhero Adventure Game with 1 GM and 4 players. We cover topics like card-based mechanics, "comic book frame narrative," switching gears from physical to digital play, fictional positioning, super hero style transformations, etc.
The last five words of #RPGaDay2020: Favour, Close, Ride, Portal, Experience. Things mentioned: Old School Essentials, D&D 5e, Marvel Superhero Adventure Game, Rakka's Raiders (in the Plundergrounds Zine bundle), Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Dungeon World.
Call-ins from Evil Jeff of Minions and Musings and Jason of the Nerd's RPG Variety Podcast. Milestone XP in Old School Essentials (episode, spreadsheet). Cultural touchstones; Judd on "knife fights in space." Sorcerers & Sellswords. Tiger and Del. Spikepit, Puddleglum, Innsmouth Look, Mike Myers' Canada. Polaris by Ben Lehman.
The who, what, when, where, and why of framing scenes. Giving dramatic moments space. Finding comfort in rpg prep. Getting past the "meet at the inn" moment. The mythical nature of towers. Clues for investigation shouldn't be subtle, and sometimes it's fun to investigate without purpose. Push was a cool movie and I wrote a game about it that worked on the "loner" character problem. Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came! Librivox - etext.
#RPGaDay2020 continues. Sorry about the audio issues! Shade - don't throw it! Light - Safer Fantasy Crafting says 'rules light is both Kindergarten and Ph.D. role-playing.' Want - to not want! Old School Essentials Advanced and Dicey Times. Stack - people like to stack things, designs should give gamers things to stack. Messages - leave your characters meaningful in-world messages! Rest - is unsatisfying if it is simply a reset mechanic. Make them into scenes? Banner - people love to show their allegiances, so characters/NPCs in game worlds should have lots of banners, badges of office, patches, etc. Gygax 75 challenge podcasts and booklet.
I'm a big fat cheater when it comes to the #RPGaDay2020 challenge. Though I'm supposed to talk about one word each day, I instead lump them all together for the week. So here are the first seven words. I talk about "Beginning" a lot, and then do quick hits on the other six: change, thread, vision, tribute, forest, couple. Opening clip is from the movie Dune. Games mentioned: Ogre, Melee, Wizard, Death Test, D&D Holmes Basic, Traveller, Oracle, Prime Time Adventures, Microscope. Other stuff: Star Wars: A New Hope, Lord of the Rings, the Science Fiction Book Club, A Wizard of Earthsea, The Dragonriders of Pern, Midnight's Lair (defunct podcast), Merlin, Aladdin's Castle, Alien (movie), TI-994a. My free games are found at rayotus.itch.io.
In this episode I talk about using milestone XP in OSE D&D without losing the particular feel of the different speeds of class progression. The referenced spreadsheet is available in the notes for this show. Call-ins are from Jason of the Nerds RPG Variety Podcast, John Alan Large of RDDRPG, Paul Unslaked of the OtakuGeneration podcast, and Lieren from Updates from the Middle of Nowhere. Call-in topics are spell books, Collaborative NPCs, GM crash, The Score - a WIP PbtA game about anime sports. Games mentioned Old School Essentials, Holmes Basic D&D, My Life with Master, Misspent Youth, The Score (not yet available).
Do you really know the rules, or do you just think you do? In this episode I talk about the value of revisiting rulebooks after actual play to focus one's understanding of the game you are playing. John Alan Large of the Red Dice Diaries podcast gets me started by calling in to talk Old School Essentials.
I imagine the spell Fog Hammer and talk about The Ghost City, a setting-within-a-setting for my Old School Essentials game. I mention Ramanan's character generator for Ben Milton's Maze Rats, Jonathan Harper's Ghost/Echo, China Mieville's The City & The City, Fred Hicks' Don't Rest Your Head, Itras By, and H. G. Wells' The Door in the Wall. Encounter table at www.plundergrounds.com.
Show notes at https://plundergrounds.blogspot.com. Theme song by Logan Howard, the Sword Breaker. Joe from Hindsightless, Cards in RPGs, Space Kings, Lonely Adventurer, Gygax 75 challenge, Matterguffins, Moorcock's Swords Trilogy (Corum), OSE GM Screen and Player's Rules Tome, Gaming & BS + Jason Hobbs on Low Fantasy Gaming, Judd Karlman's Daydreaming About Dragons, D&D Ability Questions, Jeff Collyer's Tome of All Dooms, Ironsworn the RPG.
Show notes at http://www.plundergrounds.com. Did you know you can leave a voice message? Theme song by Logan Howard of the Sword Breaker podcast! Tags: Science Fiction, Movie, Mars, Monsters, Martians, Session Design, Dungeon Crawl Classics. Daniel Fowler call about stealing from bad movies. Conan the Destroyer. Alien Resurrection. Matt Covil on genius. The Angry Red Planet, 1959. Cast: Gerald Mohr: Ace Pilot, Man's Man; Nora Hayden: Biologist, Femme Fatale; Les Treymane: Professorial Dude; Jack Krushen: Grease Monkey/Security; Directed by Ib Melchior and Sidney Pink. Reptilicus, 1961. Applying the "red filter."
If you are coming to this episode without having first listened to part 1 on the No Save For You podcast, you should go do that. Show notes at https://plundergrounds.blogspot.com. Leave a voice message: https://anchor.fm/plundergrounds/message.
This is a "false episode" to tell you to go listen to part 1 of my Delving Deeper discussion with Cody of the No Save for You podcast! Show notes: http://plundergrounds.blogspot.com. Leave a voice message: https://anchor.fm/plundergrounds/message
More thoughts on urban druids from Jim Jones, RFED talks miniatures wargames and scale (as do I), and I review 92 Tables and Mutants of Ixx. Cody and Aaron respond to last week's homework.
No Save for You
Mutants of Ixx
James Shields clip art! Also the A Grazing Mace podcast
Xeno Dead Zone
Fight & Race games: Gaslands. Circus Maximus, Circus Imperium, Arena Maximus, Wreckage, Ave Caesar, Krash, Thunder Road
Army games: De Bellis Multitudinis, Battleground
RPGs mentioned: The One Ring, There and Back Again, Troika, Polaris, Dictionary of Mu, Veins of the Earth
Show notes at www.jellysaw.com.
Spikepit by Colin Green (episode 134, RFED on Dead of Winter)
Necromunda (Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, Mordheim)
Blades in the Dark (John Harper's games)
Sword Breaker by Logan Howard
Undead Armies (The Escape by Marshall Miller, Game of Thrones)
Xeno Dead Zone
Traveling in Puebla
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
Evil Jeff of Minions and Musings
The Downside Up episode (#12, November 6) of Plundergrounds
Judd and Rich and demon buildings: Comic Strip AP - Sorcerer
High Rise by J. G. Ballard
Call-ins from Tim Shorts of Gothridge Manor and Evil Jeff of Minions and Musings
More (and more positive) 5e talk
Cockatrice Nuggets zine, Nuggets #2
Call-ins from Rob C. of Down in a Heap and Frothsof of Thought Eater, you decide which is which!
"Drunk"-casting from the Houston airport
Reading 5e Basic Rules
Spikepit's 5e casts: "What's up with 5e" beginning April 5 and continuing
Down in a Heap's (NOT Thought Eater's) 5e casts: April 19 (x2) & 23, 2019
Gavin Norman's B/X Essentials aka Old School Essentials Kickstarter
Frothsof's Thought Eater cast and the James Smith memorial
My art zine - available for $1 by joining my Patreon
Thoughts on role-playing and imposter syndrome
Gene Wolfe's New Sun series
Jim Yoder from Encounters in the Library
Something old, new, borrowed, blue challenge follow-up. (See separate post.)
Why aren't monsters fatigued/injured/distracted when you find them? Why are they fighting?
I plan to run Troika, here's an NPC
Tech upgrade to CR-V studios
Get In One Bite for one buck!
John Aegard Dragonslaying on a Time Table
Yochai Gal One-Shot World
Cloud Gate (a.k.a. The Bean)
Spikepit Down in a Heap
Punk Rock Podcasting / Down in a Heap by Rob C.
Polaris by Ben Leman
Ben Milton converts MtG cards to tokens
Eric Salzwedel Omega 3D Chicken Coop
Cody M No Save for You!
I discuss fast prep techniques shared by various GMs. Lots of tangents; sorry not sorry.
Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master
Runehammer on Timers
Goblin Punch's Checklist
Marshall Miller Dungeon Starters
I hold forth on using Magic the Gathering cards as creative inspiration for RPGs. Both baseline ideas here were stolen from WotC's mobile app/magazine, Dragon+. It's free; check it out. The referenced card images and full show notes can be found at ww.jellysaw.com.
I review a deck for randomly generating dungeons. You can buy it and the expansion for about $20 at Game Crafters. https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/axebane-s-deck-of-many-dungeons. Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
The one where I talk about the 1981 TSR micrograme, Revolt on Antares. Designed by Tom Moldvay, art by Erol Otus, Bill Willingham, Jeff Dee, DSL, Jim Roslof. Show notes: https://jellysawgames.blogspot.com/2019/03/051-revolt-on-antares.html
Random topics including encounter tables, timers, avoiding rust monsters, Dune, Barsoom, bronze age gaming, OGRE, illusions, Revolt on Antares, Tetsuo, the Tripod Trilogy, and establishing questions. Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Angus and I wrap up the week, even though we then hung around for another 4+ hours talking to people, buying stuff, and generally basking in the gamer glow. Topics include world building at TSR, Zeb Cook, Planescape, writing for yourself vs. for the mob, making jump from TTRPGs to computer games, Interplanar Melee, and gaming at Gary Gygax's house. Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Angus and I talk Bob Meyer's Blackmoor game and the experience of "Arneson's D&D," Traveller character generation seminar with Marc Miller and his Traveller novels, Steve Jackson's vintage Kickstarters, Elric the AH board game, and the day ahead. Later I cast with Cody M of No Save for You and Larry Hamilton of Follow Me and Die! Then I recap my day gaming with Brett of Gaming and BS and playing at Gary Gygax's house. Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Angus recaps his day, we talk about B/X Essentials, sourcing the table, play culture at Gary Con, and I debrief on my two events (Goblintown and Dungeon World). Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
I talk with Angus of Kirby's Kids about our upcoming day and drop con guest names. Then I joust with Cody M of No Save for You. The day ends with a tired ramble about the day's games. Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Topics include: time spent on the toilet, self-doubt, the book Annihilation, relating the old to the new/mundane to exotic, Valentine's Day, history books on Audible, Gobekli Tepe, crocodile erections, Melee/Wizard/Fantasy Trip, Delving Deeper, Quintessential and Essential BX... Full show notes at http://www.jellysaw.com.
Celebrating my last day of braces! Listing of ideas for future podcasts, talking about The Monster Brothers podcast, my supportive wife, Delving Deeper, Warriors of the Red Planet, future Plundergrounds zines, Fantastic Planet, etc. Full show notes at www.jellysaw.com.
I talk about how the Wuxia film idea of a training temple, school, or secret manuscript could be ported over into fantasy adventure games. Likewise, I talk about moving the DCC disfavor rule for clerics into Dungeon World and B/X. Full show notes at www.jellysaw.com.
Solo Gaming Hangout w/Sophia Brandt, Slade Stolar, and Michael Barford. Recorded on April 14, 2017.
• The big list of solo RPG resources from my blog http://dieheart.net/solorpg
• Getting started with solo role-playing primer: http://dieheart.net/getting-started-solo/
• Actual play reports solo http://dieheart.net/category/actual-play/
• Dungeon World solo plays: http://dieheart.net/ap-dungeon-world-one/ and http://dieheart.net/ap-dungeon-world-two/
• The Mythic Game Master Emulator: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/20798/Mythic-Game-Master-Emulator?it=1
• The 9 Questions: (download) http://dieheart.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/The-9Qs.zip
• The 5 Room Dungeon: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Five_Room_Dungeon
• Lone Wolf G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116965157741523529510
• Products from the former soloroleplaying.com: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6632/Cabbage-Games
• Rory’s Story Cubes: https://www.storycubes.com/
• Adventuresmith (Android): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.steavesea.adventuresmith&hl=en
• Itras By: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/107617/Itras-By-English
• Itras By (Just the cards): https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/111501/Itras-By-Card-Set-English
• Ray’s Random Dungeon World Move Generator: http://www.jellysaw.com/
• John Yorio’s Excellent “Solo Role-Playing Series” of blog posts: https://tabletopdiversions.blogspot.com/2015/01/solo-role-playing-series-part-1.html
• Marshall Miller’s Dungeon Starters: http://www.finemessgames.com/DWsupplements/dungeonstarters
• Logan Howard’s Sword Breaker zine: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/207706/Sword-Breaker-Issue-No-2--The-Hollow-Fingers
• Joe Banner’s Adventures: https://www.patreon.com/jbinc
• The Armitage Files: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15383.phtml
• Todd vs. The Black Hack (online solo play): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUVmgndvBVU&t=1985s
• H is for Hex Mapping (with Rory’s Story Cubes): http://theironpact.com/h-is-for-hex-mapping/
Angus of Kirby’s Kids and I talk Klaus and Christmas-themed gaming.
Kirby’s Kids -> http://anchor.fm/kirbyskids
Krause -> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38749750-klaus
Letters from Father Christmas -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061800937X/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A Sinister Solstice -> http://jellysawgames.blogspot.com/2016/12/sinister-solstice.html
Making zines with Oli Jeffrey, Logan Howard, Tim Shorts (Gothridge Manor). Recorded on July 3, 2017.
• Plundergrounds: https://www.patreon.com/rayotus
• Logan Howard's Sword Breaker: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?key...
• Oli Jeffery and Codex: https://www.patreon.com/gauntlet/post...
• Gothridge Manor: https://gothridgemanor.blogspot.com/p...
• Tolling the Great Black Bell: https://thegreatblackbell.blogspot.com/
• Wormskin: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?key...
• Black Pudding: https://www.rpgnow.com/product/199081...
• Crawling Under a Broken Moon: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/448...
• Crawl!: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/495...
• Crawljammer: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/690...
• Misspent Youth Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...
• Session Zero: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?key...
• Worlds without Master: https://www.patreon.com/Epidiah/posts
• The Original Melee and Wizard Counter Sheets -> https://www.jellysaw.com
• Gaming and BS 209, the Smash Cut -> https://gamingandbs.com/smash-cut-rgps-gbs209/
• Centum Mortui poster -> https://www.jellysaw.com
• Letters from Father Christmas -> https://preview.tinyurl.com/y7c83a4l
• Ben Milton on Control Panels -> http://questingblog.com/control-panel-book-layout-osr/
• Norse Mythology - https://www.amazon.com/Norse-Mythology-Neil-• Gaiman/dp/039360909X/
• Celtic Myths and Legends - https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Myths-Legends-Rolleston-1990-11-01/dp/B01LP3DNMM/
• Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and of the Fianna of Ireland - https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Fighting-Men-Tuatha-Ireland/dp/1495385140/
• Vikings - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/
• Britannia - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5932548/
• Vikings Campaign Source Book - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16912/HR1-Vikings-Campaign-Sourcebook-2e
• Celts Campaign Sourcebook - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/110199/HR3-Celts-Campaign-Sourcebook-2e
• Journey To Ragnarok - Adventure and Setting for 5e - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/257334/Journey-To-Ragnarok--Adventure-and-Setting-for-5e
• Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/112998/Fate-of-the-Norns-Ragnarok
• Midgard Worldbook for 5th Edition and PFRPG - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237360/Midgard-Worldbook-for-5th-Edition-and-PFRPG
• The Five Temples of the Earthmother Part 1: Life and Moon - https://www.dmsguild.com/product/170745/The-Five-Temples-of-the-Earthmother-Part-1-Life-and-Moon
• Spikepit -> https://anchor.fm/spikepit
• Kirby's Kids -> https://anchor.fm/kirbyskids
• The Happy Whisk -> https://anchor.fm/thehappywhisk
• No Save for You! -> https://anchor.fm/nosaveforyou
• Plundergrounds Patreon -> http://www.patreon.com/rayotus
• All of my projects -> http://www.rayotus.com
Capsule reviews of classic Melee, Wizard, and Death Test. With dramatic readings. Looks like you'll be able to buy it in a retro edition in April: http://thefantasytrip.game/products/core-games/the-fantasy-trip-melee-wizard-pocket-box/
• Laumer Bolo Stories -v
-> Combat Unit http://hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The%20Baltic%20War/Odyssey/0743435273__15.htm
-> The Last Command http://hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The%20best%20of%20Jim%20Baens%20Universe/The%20World%20Turned%20Upside%20Down/0743498747__14.htm
-> Field Test https://www.baen.com/Chapters/1439133476/1439133476___2.htm
It's an all call-in show with Ivy "The Happy Whisk," Colin "Spikepit," Darren "RFED," and Carl from the Megadungeon podcast. Topics include anxiety at the table, dealing with creative struggles (follow up), a new type of table, "telling it to the page," and much more.
• Steve Jackson's Ogre -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre_(game)
• Newer Versions -> http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/
• Winchell's Story ver 1 -> http://www.projectrho.com/ogre.html
• Winchell's Story ver 2 -> http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products/ogrezine/forgingfirstogre.html
• Music behind reading is "Boss Battle" (altered) by Mystery Mammal
• Intro/Outro Music is "You Can Use" by Captive Portal
• Inspectres -> http://www.memento-mori.com/rpg/inspectres
• Hex Power Flower -> https://goblinshenchman.wordpress.com/2018/10/25/2d6-hex-power-flower/
• Jim's Poem (Late at Night in Bed by Gregory Djanikian) -> https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/37125/late-at-night-in-bed
• Spikepit -> http://anchor.fm/spikepit
• Jim Jones Extra Life -> https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=39374
• Larry - Follow Me and Die! -> https://anchor.fm/follow-me-and-die
• Judd - Daydreaming About Dragons -> https://anchor.fm/daydreaming-about-dragons
• Cody M - No Save for You! -> http://anchor.fm/nosaveforyou
• Rich - Cockatrice Nuggets -> http://anchor.fm/rich-fraser
• Ivy - Happy Whisk -> http://anchor.fm/thehappywhisk
• Colin Green - Spikepit -> http://anchor.fm/spikepit
• Spikepit -> http://anchor.fm/spikepit
• Sword Breaker -> http://anchor.fm/dmdad
• DM Dad -> https://anchor.fm/dm-dad
• Beowulf audiobooks
- S. Heany abridged -> https://tinyurl.com/y9yx9qrj
- S. Heany read by Guidall -> https://tinyurl.com/y96xl4b8
- B. Flynn read by Logan -> https://tinyurl.com/y7erpuyj
- C. W. Kennedy read by Griffin -> https://tinyurl.com/y83x2c9p
- Sutcliff prose version -> https://tinyurl.com/ya4ezrhy
• Dragonslayer -> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082288/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
• Veins of the Earth -> https://tinyurl.com/yayv7kbb
• Tome of Adventure Design -> https://froggodgames.com/frogs/product/tome-of-adventure-design-2/
• Microscope -> http://www.lamemage.com/microscope/
• How to Host a Dungeon -> http://tonydowler.com/projects/how-to-host-a-dungeon/
• Fan play-through -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzhprAUoJXs
• Tony Dowler (the creator) playtesting HtHaD v2 -> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHrCSJpt9Xd56LTh4Ozc5yk9e-aLnXgQK
• Follow Me and Die! -> https://followmeanddie.com/
• Sword Breaker -> https://anchor.fm/sword-breaker
• Castle in the Mist -> https://www.rpgnow.com/product/257447/Sword-Breaker-Presents-A-Castle-in-the-Mist
• The Earth Moved -> https://tinyurl.com/yayq4t2j
• Everything else -> http://www.rayotus.com
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Trailer
• Not the scene I referenced, but still some damn good organ!
• Logan Howard's Sword Breaker Podcast
Yes, those are planes in the background. I was recording from a cul-de-sac near a small airport.
• Metagaming & Steve Jackson's OGRE
• Laumer's Bolo Fiction
• Larry Hamilton's Follow Me and Die!
• 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars
• Carry by Nathan Paoletta
• Logan's Sword Breaker zine
• Stay Frosty
• Kirbys Kids
A solo-rant for people new to Dungeon World or veterans who want to understand moves better. I talk about what they are, what the basic pattern is, why the "irritating" advice "Don't say the name of your move" is important, how the levels of success match up to D&D combat rolls, and talk about moves as a social contract.
• It's a Grab Bag! (Random thoughts and call-ins.)
• Colin from the Spikepit podcast talks bio-dungeons and Goblintown
• Urmo the Magnificent
• Cody M on unruly reptile familiars
• My Kickstarter Attitude Adjustment
• Frank Turfler of the Liner Notes podcast talks about bio-dungeons
• Reading Dragonlance at 50
• Final Thoughts/Responses to Callers
• RIP Meathead
• Familiars and Animal Companions
• Pack World (Dragonriders of Pern, Elfquest)
• Tension between the Fantastic and the Real
• Setting vs. Player responsibility for "Realism"
• Mailbag: Colin "Spikepit"
• On Fighting Fantasy
• Troika! and Evolving vs. Set-It-and-Forget-It Initiative
• Other Stuff
-> www.patreon.com - subscribe to the Plundergrounds zine
-> www.jellysaw.com - free games and articles
-> I'm "Ray Otus" on Google+ & Goodreads
-> Music is "You Can Use" by Captive Portal
In this pilot episode I talk about
• Forest Hymn & Picnic - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cecil-howe/the-forest-hymn-and-picnic?ref=user_menu
• Troika! - Free, no art version: https://www.rpgnow.com/product/199604/Troika--Free-Artless-Edition?manufacturers_id=6992
• Astro- - an in-development 2-player game
• Books - Dragonlance, Nero Wolfe, Invisible Cities, Sandman, Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom
• Jianghu Hustle - https://misdirectedmark.com/category/podcasts/jianghu/