Sports Tonight is hosted by Baltimore Sports and Life (BSL) Owner Chris Stoner. Chris is joined by his BSL Colleagues to mostly talk about the Baltimore Orioles, Baltimore Ravens, and the University of Maryland. There is also other general sports discussion (MLB, NFL, NBA, NCAA Basketball, NCAA Football, and Soccer).
NBA Talk With Raphielle Johnson & Jalon Dixon
- The Lakers are currently the 5th seed. If LeBron and the Brow are healthy to begin the playoffs, do you still like them to win the title?
- The Jazz have been consistent all year, balanced lineup... currently on top of most sites Power Rankings... can the Jazz beat a healthy Lakers team 4x?
- Among Western Conference teams, I feel the Clippers represent the best chance of taking down the Lakers with Kawhi, and George... others are high on the Nuggets after Denver obtained Gordon, and some others like the Suns... how do you rank that trio of teams?
- Portland, Dallas, and Memphis are currently 6th, 7th... if you were going to bet on one of those squads winning multiple playoff series, who would you favor?
- The Brooklyn experiment has gone better than I anticipated, and they've added recent reinforcements. Will you be surprised if they don't win the East? Does it concern you that the Big 3 have played less than 10 games together?
- Who's the bigger threat to the Nets... Milwaukee or the 76ers?
- Last year's Eastern Conference Champ Miami has won 4 in a row. Oladipo has given them extra firepower. Would you be surprised if they won multiple series?
- What's holding Boston back from being better?
- The NBA will be utilizing a play in tournament this year. Remind us how that is going to work, and give us your thoughts on that.
- ESPN gave their listing of NBA players under 25 with the most future potential... any selections / order you particularly disagreed with?
- Who is your Coach of the Year?
- Thompson is back next year... and he's 90% plus of what he was.... what are the Warriors at that point?
- Who is going to win MVP?
- As March ends, let's reset things with the Major conferences. Duke is the overall #1 in Sam's National Top 20, and tied with North Carolina on top of of the ACC.
What does Sam like best about the 9-0 Blue Devils?
- The other four ACC teams North Carolina, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and UVA were all in last week's Top 12... with UNC coming in at #3 overall. Are the Tar Heels best poised to challenge Duke within the league?
- The Big Ten has 6 teams, with MD leading the way. What does Same like, and what does he question with the Terps?
- Rutgers, Ohio State, Johns Hopkins, Penn State, Michigan makes up the remainder of the conference. Last week Sam had Rutgers 5th overall, Ohio State 17th, and Hopkins 19th. What's the story this year with Hopkins?
- Denver cracks Sam's Top 5... they've been to the Final Four 5 times since 2011, with former Princeton coach Bill Tierney leading the Pioneers program since 2010. Thoughts Denver this year?
- Denver is in the Big East. Fellow Big East member Georgetown cracks your Top 10. The Hoyas made the Tournament in '18, and '19, after missing the tournament for a decade. What explains the recent rise with Kevin Warne's program?
- The Loyola Greyhounds have dominated the Patriot League in recent years, but this year Sam has fellow Patriot League members Army and Lehigh ahead of them in his Top 20. What's the primary question with the Greyhounds going forward?
- The UMBC Retrievers reached the NCAA Tournament in 2019, but have not won their conference (American East) since 2009. Ryan Moran's team is currently 4-1 overall, and 3-1 in league play. Sam has Albany, and Vermont in his Top 20. Chances of UMBC winning the American?
- The Towson Tigers reached the tournament four times from 2013-19, but are 3-5 on the year, including 0-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association. Delaware and UMass are leading the way in the CAA, and in Sam's Top 20. What's the status with the Tigers?
Was joined by BSL Orioles Analyst Nick Stevens
- Background on Nick
- Thoughts on the Rebuild
- Who does Nick like best out of Kremer, Akin, Baumann, Lowther, Zimmerman, Wells, and Smith
- Discussion on Means
- Harvey, Scott, Tate are what exactly? Who interests Nick the most from that trio?
- What happens with Mancini?
- Does Hays stay on the field and produce enough in '21 to believe in him long-term?
- Does Santander build on '20?
- Does Diaz take advantage of any opportunity he gets?
- How good is Mountcastle?
- Galvis at SS, Sanchez at 2nd
NBA Talk With BSL Analyst Raphielle Johnson
- Thoughts on Joel Embiid
- There are only 4 teams in the East (Philly, Milwaukee, Brooklyn, and Boston) with winning records. What does Raphielle like and question about each?
- What has happened to the Heat?
- Raphielle's favorite rookie so far?
- Is Bradley Beal going to be a Wizard much longer?
- Of the other guys league wide rumored to be available, who would like Raphielle like to see traded?
- The Jazz are leading the West, at 19-5 Strong, and deep team... but can Raphielle envision them beating the Lakers in a 7 game series?
- The Suns are currently the 4th seed... Difference Paul has made?
- Clippers are 17-8... are they the primary challenger to the Lakers?
- Denver and Dallas have started slow. Who is better positioned to rebound from their slow start?
- Golden State is .500... They get Thompson back next year. If he's 90% of what he was, are they a legit contender once more?
Super Bowl Preview
Joined by BSL NFL Analysts Sid Saraf, and Josh Katzowitz
- These teams faced each other just two months ago, we look back at that game
- Tampa has to pick their poison defensively against the Chiefs... what will the Bucs try and take away?
- KC will be without Eric Fisher (actually both of their starting OTs).. how impactful will this be?
- The Bucs are taking the field in their home stadium... some fans... not full... does this bother you?
- Do Sid and Josh give an edge to one coaching staff vs. the other?
- Keys for the Chiefs....
- Keys for the Bucs...
- The favorite prop bet you've seen?
- Who wins and why?
Joined by BSL Terps Analyst Chris Knoche
- What are the keys for MD over the remaining 10 regular season games?
- Can MD build off their win at Minnesota?
- Previewing the week vs. Wisconsin and Purdue
Joined by BSL NFL Analyst Sid Saraf.
Bucs @ Green Bay
- Overviews of the game... Sid's keys.
- Early line, Packers 4 point favorite... played Week 6, TB won 38-10.
- What's the best unit in this game?
- Brady in a 14th Conference Championship game...
- Legacy implications for Rodgers?
Buffalo @ Kansas City
- Overviews of the game... Sid's keys.
- Early line, Chiefs 3 point favorite... played Week 6, KC won 26-17.
- Mahomes concussion protocol.
- Where is KC vulnerable beyond questions around Mahomes?
- Drama in Houston with Watson. Jets the favorites?
- Was that Brees' last game? Final epitaph for the Saints?
- Cleveland got back to the post-season.. showed progress under Stefanski.
- Green Bay got past the Rams. Goff - McVay relationship.
- Baltimore lost in the post-season for the 3rd straight year, takeaways?
- Who reaches the Super Bowl?
Joined by BSL NFL Analyst Sid Saraf.
Discussed the four Divisional Round games:
Rams @ Green Bay
Ravens @ Buffalo
Cleveland @ Kansas City
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans
Sid gives his keys to the games, and power ranked the remaining starting QB's.
Chris was joined by BSL NFL Analysts Sid Saraf, and Josh Katzowitz to discuss Wild Card Weekend:
Colts at Buffalo
Rams at Seattle
Bucs at Washington
Bears at NO
Browns at Pittsburgh
Ravens at Tennessee
Chris is joined by Joe Lucia / BSL Sports Media Analyst...
- Background on Joe's work with Awful Announcing.
- Recent changes with ESPN Radio...
- Sports Media in the COVID environment...
- Bill Simmons and The Ringer...
- Recent cuts at The Athletic
We covered if MLB will come back and what the Orioles potential 30 man roster will look like.
Also tackled some Ravens stuff focusing in high expectations for next year, Ronnie Stanley’s contract situation and if they should trade for Jamal Adams
MLB... what could a season look like?
Orioles: Thoughts on the articles this week from our colleagues Matthew Kory, and Zach Spedden...
Ravens... Pre-Draft Depth Chart? Jimmy Smith ROH? Ravens Roster Power Rankings
Baseball season is here and Sports Tonight is back. Join Chris and Rob as they catch up on all things sports. We apologize for the quality of Chris' microphone in this episode. It will be fixed before episode 2.