Skip to main content
The Other 70%

The Other 70%

By Nortek Group
What we think of as our footprint tends to be limited to the 30% of the Earth made up of rock, soil and sand, yet our lives on land depend heavily on the health of The Other 70%: our World Ocean. From climate regulation to food security to energy production, we are tied to the ocean in more ways than you might think.

Join host Nevin DiParlo in his conversations with entrepreneurs, technologists, and activists who are building the blue vision for the future, to learn more about your life on our Blue Planet.

The Other 70% is brought to you by Nortek. Dive in with us by subscribing below.
Where to listen
Apple Podcasts Logo

Apple Podcasts

Google Podcasts Logo

Google Podcasts

Pocket Casts Logo

Pocket Casts

RadioPublic Logo

RadioPublic

Spotify Logo

Spotify

Currently playing episode

Rigs to Reefs: Innovative ocean conservation with Blue Latitudes

The Other 70%

1x
Our lives and the ocean: WSL Pro Surfer Adrian "Ace" Buchan
There are few people with closer ties to the ocean than the athletes who have built careers among the waves. In this episode, professional surfer Adrian "Ace" Buchan talks about his history with the sport of surfing, how it has grown his relationship with the ocean, and the ocean conservation efforts he is involved in. Follow Ace on Instagram: @acebuchan
44:07
August 26, 2021
Building the perfect wave: Kelly Slater Wave Co.
When the world’s best surfer asks you to build him the perfect wave, where do you begin? That’s the question Kelly Slater Wave Co.’s chief scientist Adam Fincham had to ask himself when Kelly Slater came to him in 2007, proposing building the “perfect” man-made wave. In this episode, Adam Fincham discusses the winding road that took him from academia to making waves, the science behind the wave pool, and his thoughts on the future of surfing.
01:00:45
August 12, 2021
Innovative solutions to ocean pollution: The Ocean Cleanup
You may have heard of The Ocean Cleanup, but how does the cleanup project work? In this episode of The Other 70%, the Ocean Cleanup’s lead computational modeler Bruno Sainte-Rose explains the impacts of ocean pollution, the technology being used to remove plastic from the ocean, and how the organization is making informed, nature-based solutions to bring back our healthy, clean oceans. The Ocean Cleanup website
50:10
July 29, 2021
From space to subsea: how Houston Mechatronics is changing our view of ocean technology
The ocean: the final frontier? For years, space exploration has been viewed as the pinnacle of technological advancement; ocean exploration, on the other hand, viewed as a task for old sailors and weathered ships. In this conversation, Houston Mechatronics co-founder Nicolaus Radford discusses how they aim to change the way we view ocean exploration and ocean technology as part of their mission to create subsea robots with unprecedented capabilities. Houston Mechatronics website
55:26
July 15, 2021
Investing in the Blue Economy for a successful and sustainable future
The ocean provides a wealth of resources to populations globally. From fisheries to tourism to energy production, many industries rely on the ocean-- and the so-called "blue economy" these industries make up is growing each year. Hear founder and CEO of venture capital firm Fynd Ventures Maren Bauer discuss the potential for investment in the Blue Economy, her previous investment successes, and what excites her the most about these industries. Fynd Ventures website
40:27
July 01, 2021
Preserving Coral Reefs by Ending Ghost Fishing
"Ghost fishing" doesn't refer to paranormal activity, but rather the entrapment of fish in discarded fishing nets or fishing gear. This harmful phenomenon is being tackled by diving organization Ghost Diving, who are committed to freeing coral reefs and other fish habitats from debris. Pascal van Erp, Ghost Diving founder and diver, explains the importance of clearing the oceans of discarded fishing gear in this episode of The Other 70%. Ghost Diving website Buy a Bracenet
45:08
June 17, 2021
What lies below: mapping the ocean floor with Bedrock Ocean Exploration
Cities, mountain ranges, open fields-- we have extensive knowledge of what the Earth's surface looks like. What the sea floor looks like, however, is a completely different story. Bedrock Ocean Exploration has set out to create a medium-resolution map of the entire ocean. In this episode of The Other 70%, Bedrock CEO and co-founder Anthony DiMare explains how detailed knowledge of subsea terrain is crucial to our lives on land, and how he envisions the future of our blue planet. Bedrock Ocean website
58:51
June 03, 2021
A look into the aquaculture industry with Innovasea
Aquaculture and fisheries have been a hot topic recently. Is it sustainable to eat farmed fish? What do these fish actually eat? How does it compare to open-ocean fishing? To address some of these questions, we sat down with David Kelly, CEO of aquaculture technology company Innovasea. In this episode of The Other 70%, we discuss what makes a sustainable fish farm, challenges associated with aquaculture, and more. Innovasea website
39:03
May 20, 2021
Autonomous Vessels for Amsterdam's Canals: Rethinking Urban Infrastructure with Roboat
Imagine a self-driving boat bringing you through the canals of Amsterdam. The Roboat project aims to make that a reality. Roboat is a development collaboration between the Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Solutions and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In developing the world's first fleet of autonomous floating vessels for the city of Amsterdam, it investigates the potential of self-driving technology to change our cities and their waterways.  In this episode of The Other 70%, Ynse Deinema, ROBOAT Project Manager, discusses the potential for autonomous boats to reshape the way we think about urban infrastructure.
42:33
May 06, 2021
Rigs to Reefs: Innovative ocean conservation with Blue Latitudes
What do you do with an offshore oil rig once it's no longer in use? One surprising option: turn it into an artificial reef. In this episode, we interview the co-founders of the women-owned marine environmental consulting firm Blue Latitudes, Emily Hazelwood and Amber Sparks, about their story in the innovative ocean conservation world. rig2reefexploration.org bluelatitudefoundation.org Blue Latitudes Instagram Blue Latitudes Twitter Blue Latitudes Facebook ScienceSea TV Youtube
54:49
April 21, 2021
The Other 70%: Trailer
What we think of as our physical footprint tends to be limited to the 30% of the Earth made up of rock, soil and sand, yet our lives on land depend heavily on the health of The Other 70%: our World Ocean. From climate regulation to food security, energy production to coastal living, global trade to recreational surfing — we are tied to the ocean in more ways than you might think.  Despite all of this, we know more about the surface of the Moon than the depths of our own ocean. We are on a mission to change that. Join The Other 70% host Nevin DiParlo in his conversations with inspiring entrepreneurs, technologists, and activists who are building the blue vision for the future. The Other 70% is brought to you by Nortek. As ocean enthusiasts, researchers, and technologists, we are on a mission to make an impact through innovation, exploration, and activism above and below the surface. Dive in with us by subscribing below.
01:15
April 16, 2021